Product Review: Philadelphia Original Cooking Creme



Before you say "Geez, Cynthia, couldn't you take a more appetizing photo?" let me tell you this picture is worth a thousand words and all of them are "Blech!"

I tried the new Philadelphia Original Cooking Creme and it is disgusting.

This is the Lemon-Broccoli Rice with Chicken. Just looking at the photo now a few months after I tried it makes me feel queasy and like there's a brick in my stomach. The way-too-cheesy sauce makes this heavy and so rich you can stand only a few bites. Do not buy this.

You could make a lighter, more appetizing and more healthful sauce with a couple of tablespoons of butter, a couple of tablespoons of flour and some fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth.

I also bought the Tomato & Basil Cooking Creme and made the Easy Skillet Lasagna with it. (Sorry, no photos.) It was almost as icky. These are new convenience products that I won't waste my money or my calories on. These recipes sure make a lot of food though -- way more than we cared to eat.

But if you can't take my word for it, here are the recipes to try yourself. Just remember ... I warned you it's gross.

EASY SKILLET LASAGNA
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup each chopped green and red peppers
1 24-ounce jar spaghetti sauce
2 1/2 cups water
12 lasagna noodles, broken
1 10-ounce tub PHILADELPHIA Tomato & Basil Cooking Creme


Brown meat with peppers in deep large nonstick skillet; drain.
Stir in sauce and water. Bring to boil. Stir in noodles; cover. Simmer on medium-low heat 18 to 20 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally.
Add cooking creme; swirl with spoon. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 3 minutes.

LEMON-BROCCOLI RICE WITH CHICKEN
1 tablespoon oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1o-ounce tub PHILADELPHIA Original Cooking Creme
2 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 cups hot cooked rice

Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken, garlic and pepper; cook 5 to 6 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring frequently.
Add cooking creme and broccoli; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in lemon zest.
Serve over rice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family cooking contest reinvents hot dogs

Farewell, My Hero (Burger)

Old-fashioned candy: January Thaw