Italian Meatballs

I got this recipe from my hairdresser, Dawn, who got it, I think, from her stepmother in Baltimore. When I worked as a newspaper food editor I published it in 2004. The original recipe had no exact measurements. The most recent time I made it, I took note of the amounts I used so I could publish the recipe here.

ITALIAN MEATBALLS 


1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 package onion soup mix
1/3 cup grated cheese
1 egg (2 if you use lean ground beef)
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 cloves garlic minced
1-2 tablespoons water
1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs

Mix all ingredients together. Roll into 1 1/2-inch diameter balls. Fry in oil and add to sauce. OR, the way I do it, place on a baking rack on a rimmed baking sheet or in a13-by-9-inch baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil. (Spray foil with cooking spray if it's going to touch the meatballs.) Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Then add to sauce.

I usually serve these with spaghetti but I have served them in the sauce as a heavy hors d'oeuvre at parties.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family cooking contest reinvents hot dogs

Farewell, My Hero (Burger)

Old-fashioned candy: January Thaw