Butterscotch Blondies



I love magazines. It’s a shame so many are becoming an all-digital format. Since I was a child I’ve loved to get a magazine in the mailbox, curl up with it somewhere in the house and read it cover to cover.

I learned to cook from Cook’s Country and many of my favorite recipes come from Woman’s Day and the Taste of Home stable of Healthy Cooking, Country Woman and more.

I’ve been known to spot a must-try recipe on a magazine cover in the supermarket checkout line and snatch it up. My aunt Laura long ago subscribed me to those Betty Crocker and Pillsbury recipe booklets sold by the checkout. I have tons of those booklets in my kitchen and I’m always excited to get one in the mail.

Many times they contain a winner (no, really, a contest-winning recipe) that I have to make over and over again.

This recipe for Butterscotch Blondies doesn’t claim to have won a prize but it gets a blue ribbon from me and everyone I’ve served it to over the late summer and fall. I’ve made it for just my family and I’ve toted it to potlucks.

The taste is perfectly salty and caramel-y and the texture has the right balance of crunch and chew. My mouth is watering as I write this. 

BUTTERSCOTCH BLONDIES
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 ½ cups packed light brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup fat-free egg product

Heat oven to 350F. Spray 13-by-9-inch pan with cooking spray.

In 1-quart saucepan, heat butter over medium heat 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Pour into small bowl; cool 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Add egg product to browned butter; stir with whisk. Pour butter mixture over flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Spoon batter into pan; smooth top with spatula.

Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on oclling rack, about 1 hour. Cut into 8 rows by 6 rows.

Per serving (2 bars): Calories 170; total fat 5 g (saturated fat 3 g); sodium 105mg; total carbs 31 g (dietary fiber 0); protein 2 g.

Source: Betty Crocker Fall Baking 2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family cooking contest reinvents hot dogs

Farewell, My Hero (Burger)

Old-fashioned candy: January Thaw