Potato and Shrimp Stew

Our first holiday season in our new house, in 1999, I hosted Christmas Eve. My husband's family came over after the church service for hors d'oeuvres and desserts. I had planned extensively, but I was inexperienced. I can't remember the menu, just the toast points topped with cilantro mayonnaise and shrimp. It needed to be assembled as soon as I got home from church before serving. I guess I took a little too long getting it out because David's grandma murmured "Next time I'm invited here, I'm bringing a peanut butter sandwich!"

That was my first experience cooking with cilantro. I don't like cilantro. I won't tell you what I think cilantro tastes like because it's unappetizing, and you'll wonder how I know what that tastes like. I can think of three things I will eat cilantro in: fresh-made salsa, the hummus on Panera Bread's Mediterranean Veggie sandwich and this Potato and Shrimp Stew I just discovered. 

Knowing that I don't care for cilantro, I used less than the 1/2 cup the recipe calls for when I made this soup. But when I tried it for the first time, I declared I would make it again -- and leave out the cilantro. However, when I ate the leftovers two days after I first served it, I found the cilantro taste diminished. I was surprised -- most flavors intensify with time.

If you like cilantro, you will like this. If you don't, it's still a good recipe -- either make it the day before you intend to serve it or leave out the cilantro. I think this would be a splendid first course to a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. But it's a great-tasting, filling meal on its own with a loaf of hot, crusty bread, especially on a cold winter night.

I apologize for the terrible photo.

 

POTATO AND SHRIMP STEW 

14-ounce bag large cooked, peeled shrimp, thawed (tails removed)
4 potatoes, peeled and chopped in small chunks (I used Yukon Gold from Davis Bros. Farm)

1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 can corn, drained (I used the 8-ounce can)
1 15-ounce can chicken broth 

1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, not drained
12-ounce jar chili sauce
1 teaspoon cumin
Set aside thawed shrimp. Cook potatoes in lightly salted water until tender. Drain; return to pot.
Add chopped cilantro, corn, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, jar of chili sauce and cumin to pot.
Bring to boil; reduce heat. Cover; simmer gently 5 minutes Stir in shrimp. Heat briefly until warm. Do not overcook! Add water if thinner broth is desired. (It wasn't.) Salt to taste. (I didn't.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family cooking contest reinvents hot dogs

Farewell, My Hero (Burger)

Old-fashioned candy: January Thaw