Foiling flavor fairies (repost)

It's that time of year when a swarm descends upon my kitchen and bathrooms, so I thought it fitting to repost this really good tip. Gnats, fruit flies, call them what you will -- my former colleague Mark prefers "flavor fairies" -- flit within my line of vision seeking something sour: drying towels, anyone?
My friend Diane Hooie, a bright, well-traveled and adventurous cook, told me how to trap 'em. This really works:
Pour a half inch of apple cider vinegar in a small glass and add two drops of dishwashing liquid. Mix well, sit it out and the flies will be drawn to the cup and gone forever.
I misremembered her instructions and added water to the glass. It doesn't seem to affect the potion's desirability as dozens of gnats have perished in a watery grave.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family cooking contest reinvents hot dogs

Farewell, My Hero (Burger)

Old-fashioned candy: January Thaw