Naan? Naw. But the best fried dough you'll ever eat!

I enjoy Indian food when I get to the nearest city that has an Indian restaurant, Morgantown, WV, and Mother India.


Because I can't afford to eat out or drive much, I am always looking for ways to make what I crave at home. I found a passable way to make one of my two favorite Indian dishes, Chicken Tikka Masala. And I blogged about it last summer so click the link in the last sentence to find the recipe.



About the same time I was intrigued by this recipe for "Bread Machine Naan." Now, my understanding of naan is a chewy flat bread that's stretched thin and baked in a Tandoor clay oven. This recipe is so delicious I don't care what it calls itself!

My family loves it any time we get a craving for fried dough ... you know, like vendors serve at carnivals. Sometimes it's called Elephant Ears. Or Johnny Cakes. Or fry bread. Eat these plain or with butter and powdered sugar, or cinnamon sugar, or spread with your favorite jam. I recently enjoyed them drizzled with honey made by my nephew's bees in Preston County. So good! It's also good dipped in that cooling creamy cucumber-mint condiment called raita or used to sop up the sauces from that Chicken Tikka Masala or other Indian foods.



Shannon Ventresca, Middleboro, Mass., submitted this recipe to Taste of Home magazine, which is where I got it.

BREAD MACHINE NAAN

6 ServingsPrep: 1 hour 55 min. Cook: 5 min./batch

3/4 cup warm 2% milk (70° to 80°)
3/4 cup (6 ounces) plain yogurt
(I have used Greek with good results.)
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
 
In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). 

When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
 
Divide into six portions; shape into balls. Roll each ball into a 1/4-in. thick oval. Let rest for 5 minutes.

Brush tops with water. In a greased large skillet, cover and cook dough, wet side down, over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Turn dough; cover and cook for 30 seconds longer or until golden brown.

Repeat with remaining dough. Yield: 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts:
1 naan equals 363 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 502 mg sodium
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family cooking contest reinvents hot dogs

Farewell, My Hero (Burger)

Old-fashioned candy: January Thaw