Food Find: Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos



Impulse buy: The girl who never buys junk was lured to this item in a Dairy Mart convenience store. Was it the pretty purple bag, the promise of "spicy sweet" goodness or just a hormonal urge for salt and plenty of it? I dunno.

But at least it's a blog entry.

I don't care for regular Doritos. I could take 'em but mostly leave 'em -- ever since they were popular with the slumber party set in the late '80s and my girlfriend Donna and I ate ourselves sick of them and then decided we'd much rather lick the flavored powder off them and throw away the corn chips. Plus I think they make your breath smell like feet.

But these new Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos have captured my tastebuds if only fleetingly. "Good" not a very good descriptor so I will draw on another childhood memory to be more precise. Growing up, sometimes my snack crackers were either Chicken in a Biscuit or Vegetable Thins or those buttery rectangles you spread with "cheese" using the accompanying red plastic knife. These Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos taste like Vegetable Thins -- with bite.

99 cents for a 2 5/8 ounce bag in West Virginia. Check 'em out -- but only in moderation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family cooking contest reinvents hot dogs

Farewell, My Hero (Burger)

Old-fashioned candy: January Thaw