Polar Bear

I got myself a copy of "The Comfort Table" by Mrs. Billy Joel, Katie Lee, as she was known growing up in West Virginia. I plan to review it here later.

The first recipe I tried after a quick flip-through is the Polar Bear, which she describes as a grown-up coffee milkshake that will warm you up in the winter and cool you down in summer. Well... it's kind of a glorified White Russian. Or maybe a watered-down cousin of a White Russian. It was OK. And my husband, who doesn't drink alcohol at all, said "I've had better shakes." Hey, it got us to take the 2-year-old hand blender that I *had to have* on its maiden voyage.

Polar Bear
From "The Comfort Table" by Katie Lee Joel (2008, Simon Spotlight Entertainment)

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
1 pint vanilla ice cream
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup coffee-flavored liqueur
Cocoa powder

Put four dessert glasses in the freezer.

Whip the cream with the sugar until soft peaks form.

Combine ice cream, milk and coffee liqueur in a blender. Blend until smooth. Serve in the dessert glasses, topped with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family cooking contest reinvents hot dogs

Farewell, My Hero (Burger)

Old-fashioned candy: January Thaw