Indoor S'mores

This Easter, my daughter got her weight in sugar (not from me, I assure you.) A week later I was staging an indoor "campfire" for a sleepover and instead of buying milk chocolate chips to concoct these indoor S'mores, I raided her Easter haul. Two solid chocolate crosses and a Dove rabbit were sacrificed for the good of the project. I didn't think about it until later, but possibly Peeps could be used in place of the mini marshmallows. But those never last around my house as long as the solid chocolates.

Indoor S'mores
Copyright 2007 General Mills
8 cups Golden Grahams cereal
5 cups miniature marshmallows
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup light corn syrup
5 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 additional cup miniature marshmallows, if desired

I made the stovetop version; microwave directions follow.
Into large bowl, measure cereal. Butter 13-by-9-inch pan. In 3-quart saucepan, heat 5 cups marshmallows, the chocolate chips, corn syrup and butter over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
Pour over cereal; quickly toss until completely coated. Stir in remaining cup of marshmallows.
Press mixture evenly in pan, using buttered back of spoon. Let stand uncovered at least 1 hour, or refrigerate if you prefer a firmer bar (I don't recommend this from past experience with a similar recipe, not this one.) For squares, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store loosely covered at room temperature up to 2 days.

Microwave directions:
Into large bowl, measure cereal. Butter 13-by-9-inch pan. In large microwavable bowl, microwave 5 cups marshmallows, the chocolate chips, corn syrup and butter uncovered on High 2 minutes to 3 minutes 30 seconds, stirring after every minute, until melted and smooth when stirred. Stir in vanilla. Continue as directed above.

Comments

I love this recipe! It is one of my all time favorites!! I also love how creative you were in using what you had to make this delicious treat!

Popular posts from this blog

Family cooking contest reinvents hot dogs

Farewell, My Hero (Burger)

Old-fashioned candy: January Thaw